- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (two-year program), Psychoanalytic Training Institute, New York, 2015-17.
- MSW, Wurzweiler School of Social Work at Yeshiva University, New York, 2013. Recipient of Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholarship & Award for Outstanding Research.
- Coursework in Psychology, New School University, New York, NY 2002-03.
- Ph.D. in Theatre Studies, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY, 2001.
- B.A., New York University, New York, NY, 1988.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: SOCIAL WORK & MENTAL HEALTH
Visiting Nurse Service of New York, Psychiatric Social Worker; Bronx, NY [March, 2015-Present].
- Treat individuals with severe mental illness diagnoses (SMIs) in newly-launched "Parachute" program using Need-Adapted Treatment Model (NATM) within multidisciplinary team; link clients to community resources when necessary.
- Winner of a VNS Initiative Award (2016) .
- Designated 9.58 provider, with commensurate training and certification by NYC Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene.
- Participate in individual and team supervision, develop treatment goals with client families, and engage in accurate and timely documentation using Foothold AWARDS database.
Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services (JBFCS/"The Jewish Board"), Family Therapist; Bronx, NY [2013-15].
- Treated families with ACS child-welfare cases pending, using in-home, evidence-based Functional Family Therapy Model.
- Participated in individual and group supervision to plan treatment goals and to meet client needs and comply with ACS mandates.
- Entered accurate and timely documentation using Connections (CNNX) and PROMIS databases.
- Worked closely with ACS fieldworkers and case managers to align treatment goals with legal requirements; met with collaterals such as school personnel and extended family as appropriate and necessary.
F*E*G*S Outpatient Clinic, Psychotherapist and Social Work Intern; Bronx, NY [2012-13].
- Performed biopsychosocial assessments for the purposes of providing preliminary diagnoses of ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, plus mood and other disorders using DSM-IV-TR guidelines; structured interventions based on supervisory support and input.
- Worked with children and teens using play-therapy modalities, emotion-based games, and other developmentally adapted intervention tools.
Henry Street Settlement, Caseworker and Social Work Intern; New York, NY [2011-2012].
- Worked with direct caseload of 10 clients in supported housing site for individuals with documented history of homelessness and diagnosis of mental illness; provided supportive counseling and case management.. Hired as paid intern during 2012.
- Helped clients meet psychosocial goals, write service plans, gain and/or retain benefits such as SSI, SNAP, and Medicaid.
Wurzweiler School of Social Work at Yeshiva University, Social Work Researcher; New York, NY [2012-13].
- Conducted phone interviews with parents of children with hearing loss in study to determine why children may be lost to follow-up.
- Earned coauthor credit in research poster "Prevention and Social Work: The Case of Newborn Hearing Loss."
New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Mental Health Volunteer; New York, NY [2002-03, 2011].
- Provided company, assistance, and leisure activities (i.e., board games, crafts, conversation, etc.) for adult and adolescent populations on in-patient psychiatric ward to ease stresses associated with hospitalization.
- Developed music, theater, and writing exercises working closely with Psychosocial Rehab professional staff.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: OTHER
Nielsen IAG, Editor, Manager, and Vice-President at Successful Internet Startup; New York, NY [2001-11].
Created writing methodology for research surveys measuring viewer recall of TV ads; start-up purchased by Nielsen Co. in 2008.
CUNY Graduate Center, Editor & Writer in Media Relations Dept.; New York, NY [2000-01].
Created wide range of publicity materials (newsletters, press releases, etc.) for major, doctorate-granting academic institution.
Hunter College, Montclair State University, and Others, Instructor in Writing and Media Studies; NYC Area [1995-2001].
Designed syllabi and implemented curriculum in writing, film history and aesthetics, media analysis, and other courses.
Fortune Magazine, Reporter, Researcher, and Columnist; New York, NY [1989-1993].
Wrote and reported articles in industrial psychology, management, consumer behavior, and human interest at top business publication.
MEMBERSHIPS, LICENSES, AND OTHER SKILLS & TRAINING
NY State Clinical Social Work License No. 085312-1
Initiative Award Winner, Visiting Nurse Service of NY, 2016.
Advanced Training: Functional Family Therapy (FFT), Need-Adapted Treatment Model (NATM).
Databases & Documentation: Foothold/AWARDS, IMA, Connections (CNNX), PROMIS, CCT-CSS.
Manuscript Peer Reviewer, Cornell University Press.
Colorado Outward Bound School graduate, courses in alpine mountaineering and whitewater rafting.
New York Cares Volunteer, at Green Chimneys therapeutic farm, Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition, Arab-American Family Support Center (Brooklyn, NY), and Riverside Park Cleanup.
* * * * *